Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Next Thing On My List

So all of my (one of my?) loyal followers may have noticed that I have been absent from blog world of late.  That's not the only thing I have been missing!  Things have been insanely crazy around here and I am trying desperately to reign it all back in.  I feel like I have 20 half-started projects laying around here and a list of 20 more that I need to start, not the mention the things I just WANT to do - no idea if or when I will find time for those.

I remember when I was a full-time working mom, outside the home, in an office downtown 40 hours a week plus bringing work home.  I would hear stay at home moms talk about how busy and crazy they were and I thought "Are you kidding me?!"  Now don't get me wrong, never for a second have I thought SAHM's had it easy - I just never thought it was harder than what I was doing.

Enter culture shock here.  I willingly chose to become a SAHM, even though I swore for years I would never want to do it.  But we simply reached a point in our lives where it seemed to be easier and just make sense - we had an additional child, we now had 2 children involved in activities, plus Brandon was traveling more for work.  And I will say, I absolutely cannot imagine being where we are today with me still working full time outside the home.  No way.  I would have already lost my mind and been sent off to the loony bin.  But that certainly doesn't mean this is easy! 

In addition to the regular, every-day stuff like school and homework and cooking dinner and keeping up with the house and extracurricular activities...  Brandon has been traveling even more.  Like, A LOT.  In the past 2 months he went on 5 separate trips.  Plus it has been birthday season around here - all 3 of our kids' birthdays fall within a 2 month span.  And then there are those little extra things you never think about or account for when you are making plans for the week... invitations to parties/events, school projects, extra work that you have to get done...  So needless to say, I'M BUSY!  It has been all about survival mode for the past few weeks.  As long as I managed to keep up with 3 kids going in 3 directions and get everybody fed, that was enough for me.  Forget a clean house and clean laundry and reading and all those other things I wanted/needed to do.

BUT... Brandon is home this weekend and should be for a while.  And the weather is gorgeous.  And we have absolutely no plans today that will take us away from our house.  So we are spending the day planting our garden and pulling weeds and mulching and while we are doing all that our kids can play in the backyard.  We are cooking a whole chicken on the smoker and will eat that tonight with a big, fresh salad and maybe a few adult beverages.  After that we will throw our sure-to-be filthy kids in the bath and get them to bed where they will hopefully drift off quickly and peacefully because they are so exhausted from playing outside all day.  And then I will sit with my long-absent husband on the deck and enjoy the evening air (and a few more adult beverages).

And so things will finally come back together and the chaos will subside for a while.  We will accomplish some big things on our to-do list and our yard should look pretty darn good at the end of the day. 

But the inside of our house... well, don't look in there!  That's on the to-do list for another day.

(P.S. - For those not familiar, the title of this post is the title of a Toby Keith song that has been on my mind and in my head a lot lately.  For those who know it I'm sure you can see why!  For those who haven't heard it, take a listen - it's a good one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment