Monday, December 31, 2012

Year In Review (and what I plan to do better next year...)

What a title, huh??  I feel very cliche writing a post on the last day of the year about what happened over the past 12 months and what I plan on doing with the next 12.  I promise this will not be a month-by-month summary of what we did, kids' milestones, etc.  (No, that is reserved for the other website I haven't updated in forever.  Maybe that should fall under the "what I plan to do better next year" section...) 

I sit here now, on the last day of what has been an extremely crazy year.  Really good coffee with my favorite creamer next to me.  Brandon is at work.  All kids are still sleeping and hopefully stay that way for a while because they need it.  With the exception of the Today Show at super low volume in the background (as not to wake those precious sleeping angels) it is SO QUIET in my house and it is glorious.  So this has given me some time and a clear head to actually sit and reflect.

Over the past year I have watched all three of my children grow so much and become seemingly different people than they were at this time last year.  This was my first full year home with them and I have never regretted this decision for a second.  I love picking them up from school instead of putting them on a bus to daycare.  I love helping with homework and fixing after school snacks.  I love taking my little man to story hour at the library every Monday morning.  I think this decision has been so wonderful for all of us and I am so grateful that I have this opportunity.  I never thought I would want it and I never thought I would take it if it was offered, but man am I glad I did!  This is definitely one of those times I am perfectly OK with being proven wrong.

Over the past year I have witnessed the power of prayer like nothing I have ever seen.  We have had too many family members and close friends go through struggles of all kinds and every time there was a vast group of prayer warriors that stepped up and carried them through.  It is amazing what just one person praying can do, but put a whole group of us together and let it spread?  Unbelievable.  Miraculous.  Not only have I seen the wonderful things that result from prayer, but my faith and my relationship with God have grown as well.  And we all know that can bring nothing but good!

We, too, have weathered some storms this year.  I am very thankful that (in the grand scheme of things) they have been relatively minor.  But struggles nonetheless and they have taken some work to overcome.  It hasn't always been easy and it hasn't always been fast, but we have worked hard and continue to work hard.  Some battles have been won and the light at the end of the tunnel is very bright for others.  Determination will get us there and determination will keep us going toward our ultimate goal.

I feel like my goals for 2013 are the same generic goals everybody has - Be more organized.  Simplify life.  Exercise more.  Be a better mom and wife.  Maybe they are generic, but they are still worthwile resolutions and I plan on working hard on each of them.  And overall I plan on just enjoying life more.  Taking time to step away from the craziness to do things I want, whether it be reading a book or playing legos with my kids or just going to bed early. 

I am excited for what these next 12 months have in store.  To quote one of my favorite movie lines: "Life moves fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Courtney!! May I follow?

    Happy New Year from a fellow Kentucky blogger :)

    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete