Friday, July 19, 2013

A Good Book

(Background for any readers who do not live in my area - really short version of the story: Our county libraries apparently misunderstood some tax laws and increased taxes when they weren't supposed to.  Now the Tea Part is all up in arms and wants to take back all the money or at least make the libraries go back to the tax rate they used in 1965, which would result in the libraries all but shutting their doors.  It is all over the news around here.  If you really want to hear all about it - and perhaps get the legitimate details since it is possible I am slightly exagerating - just pick a news source.)

A couple weeks ago I was so motivated and inspired that I was going to pen a letter to the editor of the paper.  (Not the major paper in our area, just the Community Recorder.  I'm not that motivated.)  This was in response to numerous OTHER letters to the editor and guest columnists who were sharing their thoughts about our library "situation."  But then life got in the way and a couple weeks passed and MORE people wrote in response and I felt what I had to say would have come across as "Yeah!  What he said!" so I let the newspaper thing go.  But I do still have some things on my mind...

I grew up using the library.  When my brother and I were young my grandparents watched us every day while our parents worked.  On a regular basis my grandfather would drive the 4 of us to the Covington branch of the library.  They helped me get my first library card.  They made sure I was able to visit on a regular basis.  They made sure my friends and I got there when we needed to work on a school project or paper.  (All you young people - this was before the internet.  Once upon a time doing research meant actually going to the library, looking through encyclopedias - a topic for a different day - and checking out books to bring home.)  Point is - I have loved the library for as long as I can remember and those early visits turned me into an avid reader. 

Now I get to share that love with my children.  We visit our local branch of the library about twice a month during the summer, more during the school year.  All 3 of my kids have their own library bag to collect books to check out.  My 2 older children have their own library card.  Lucas just got his during our last visit and he was so excited he could barely contain himself.  It excites me more than I can explain that all of my children love books and love to read (or be read to).  Their excitement when I say "We're going to the library," makes me smile ear-to-ear.  My wish is that one day they will have the same fond memories that I have and share this same love with their children.

So all happy-happy, right?  In my mind, yes.  But I was motivated to write after reading one particular article in which the author basically said if you aren't using your library card for text books and educational documentaries, then everything you are checking out is trash and turning you into a horrible person.  (Maybe not that exactly, but I'm generalizing here.)  So to him (who will never read this) I would like to say...

My family and I use the library for books.  My children check out a variety of books, since I have boys and girls of varying ages.  Mostly fiction, but some non-fiction and even some how-to books.  My husband and I also check out books.  We have checked out various novels, biographies, parenting and budgeting books.  I haven't kept track of the number of books we have checked out over the past year, but I assure you we never could afford to BUY all those books.  I will admit, few of these books would fall under the category of "educational" when you search for them in the library computer (no longer a long drawer full of index cards).  But there are 5 people in my house reading and not sitting in front of a screen, so I chalk that up as a plus.

My family uses the library for their programs.  I have attended classes on saving money.  Ella and I regularly attend the book sales to raise money for and support the library.  Joe and I attend weekly story times during the school year.  All 3 of my children are signed up for and very actively participating in the summer reading progam.  Not only do these programs and events bring the community together, but they provide useful information (educational!), raise money for the library (lower taxes!) and provide my toddler with an opportunity to interact with his peers and learn at the same time (more education!). 

My family does check out movies and CDs from the library.  Perhaps not the most educational use of our library cards, but it is an added bonus.  And while my friend the guest columnist did list the 5 most popular children's movies from the library over the past year and why they are a terrible waste of time, he did not state how often these movies were actually checked out.  Yes, kids see movies on the shelves and they want them.  Movies are fun!  We allow our children to occassionally check out a couple movies and (gasp!) they watch TV at home.  I think they are still OK kids.  A free movie here and there or a new CD my husband can listen to in the car for a week isn't going to kill any of us.

Here's another way to look at things: Brandon will probably get mad that I am including this, but... oh well. When we met back in college, he read nothing.  Certainly no reading for "fun" and I'm not even sure he read the text books we were assigned.  This went on for many years, but the occassional magazine was thrown in - if it was sports related.  Then several years ago we had a gift card to Amazon.com. This was before you could buy anything and everything at Amazon and you were pretty much restricted to books, movies and CDs.  We were going on vacation soon so he thought he would use the gift card for some books to read on the beach.  (I was shocked to say the least.)  Being a big fan of the "Bourne" movies, he decided to buy the first 3 books in the series.  He became hooked.  He enjoyed the books so much more than the movies (a big deal considering his obsession with this movie empire) and sought out the others in the series to read those as well.  Then he found other books by the same author and read those.  Then he found books by different authors who write in the same manner and read those.  He read books!  Yes, guest-columnist-friend, people get killed in these books.  And there is crime.  And there are questionable morals.  And they probably have no educational value.  But a set of 3 discounted books inspired a man to read who never enjoyed it before and they expanded his horizons.  He even has his own library card now!

I realize there are A LOT of things in the state of Kentucky and in this country as a whole that need funding.  There isn't enough cash to go around.  There are some programs and services that receive funding when they probably shouldn't, or are using their money irresponsibly.  I will admit, I haven't done the research to see exactly how much money each library receives and where every cent is going.  But I do see what they have to offer and what I am (and other patrons are) paying out of pocket for it and I think it's a pretty good deal.  I understand free books, movies and CDs may not exactly fit into the definition of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  We are not guaranteed a lifetime supply of novels.  But I do firmly believe the public library system serves the greater good and without necessary funding our community would suffer a great loss.  First consider the alternatives.  It seems people are always trying to find ways to keep children occupied and constructively using their energy.  The library provides a wonderful outlet for that.  Second, I believe something as simple as the public library is one of the things that makes our state and our country great.  It's a wonderful place for the community to come together.  I don't think we need to take away all the good and all the fun just to make up for what is lacking in other areas.  When people check out their very first book from the library, it may not be a Pulitzer Prize winner.  But it's a book.  And that book will lead them to another and another and then who knows what else.  I've seen it with my own children and I've seen it with my husband and I'm certain it's happening not only in our library but in similar buildings everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment