Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Me Time

For the past several days I have felt inspired and compelled to write.  The problem is I have no idea what to write about!  I think it's just the act of writing, actually taking time to do something for myself, that motivates me.  For the past year we have been sorting out our new life, with me being a full-time stay-at-home mom and part-time work-from-home mom and Brandon traveling more and putting in a little extra time at the office each night.  We have tried to get a handle on the financial situation.  I have tried to balance two different kids' school schedules, plus a baby who is with me 24/7.  We have tried to figure out the best time to schedule kids activities and get them there and get them home and how all that fit into our home life.  So with all this, plus the endless mundane housekeeping stuff there has been little to no time for ME. 

But little by little over the past few months a tiny light has started to shine.  I got the chance to read a few books I had been dying to get my hands on.  Then things got busy again, so the current book I am reading ("Seriously I'm Kidding" by Ellen) has been sitting on my nightstand, unopened, for the past 3 weeks.  And just as quickly it eased up once more, so I had the chance to spend time this weekend with great friends and even more time outside with my kids, enjoying this glorious weather.  But yesterday I was back to feeling completely overwhelmed with laundry and dinner and work and kids and everything else.  But then today... I took Lucas to school and drove to the gym.  On a Tuesday morning.  On a day when we did not have to be there, the kids were not scheduled for any activities, a day just for ME.  Joe went into the babysitting room and I met with my friend Lisa (who just happens to be a personal trainer) for a whole hour to focus on ME.  Joe and I came home, he is napping so now I get to sit here and write (as I see the sink full of dirty dishes in the corner of my eye).  And later?  I am going to take my little poser (a.k.a. Ella) into the side yard and take her picture against our brick wall so I can edit them and make them perfect and post them on this week's You Capture.  My first You Capture post!!  I am so excited I am almost giddy and I am already taking pictures for next week's post.

So many times I have heard that as a mom, especially a stay at home mom, you MUST make time for yourself.  Much easier said than done as any mom well knows.  For so long I have put it off and given up what I want (or sometimes need) to do what the kids need or what the house needs or what somebody else needs.  But now I am finally letting myself be me and I am truly seeing the benefits, both for myself and my family.  Now I just wonder why I didn't listen to everybody and do this sooner???

No comments:

Post a Comment