Sunday, April 22, 2012

11 Years

Yesterday I celebrated 11 years of wedded bliss with my wonderful husband.  We didn't plan anything for our actual anniversary this year (even though it fell on a weekend) because he was supposed to be between business trips.  We decided we didn't want to cram something in, we would rather wait until we had time to actually enjoy ourselves and not feel rushed.  So we went about filling up the weekend with other fun things like soccer games in the rain and work.  But then his second business trip was cancelled and as it turned out, we could have planned something after all.  Of course at that point it was too late, so we went about our day as planned, which was fine with us, knowing we would just make up for it later.

But that was NOT fine for a certain little girl in this house.  She didn't like the fact that we weren't doing anything on our anniversary so she wanted to plan something fun and special.  She got together with Lucas and Brandon and they cooked up quite a surprise that turned into the best anniversary celebration yet.  While I was at my 31 party they got to work and here is what I came home to:

Lucas greeted me at the door as I came in from the garage.  He was wearing "church clothes."  (HUGE for him since this kid wants to live in sweat pants, t-shirts and no socks.)  He said "May I show you to your seat?"  And I saw "Awwww!!!!" in that embarrassing mom way, he got shy and giggly, covered his face and ran up the steps without me.

I walked upstairs and was welcomed by Ella, who showed me to my seat and handed me a menu for the evening.  The table was set with a table cloth, wine glasses and fresh flowers.  We even had place cards so we all knew were to sit and Ella graciously offered me her seat so I could sit next to Brandon.

My dinner was served to me in my seat (rather than me having to make 2 plates, cut food, then go back for my own along with whatever else the kids are demanding).  Bacon wrapped filet, fresh green beans, steamed carrots and bread along with some red wine.  A menu selected by my loves that included all of their favorites.  (Steak for Brandon, fresh green beans for Ella, carrots for Lucas and bread for Joe.)

We had a wonderful dinner where everybody was happy and excited and remembered to use their manners and got along with each other. 

After dinner we had family movie night.  Popcorn for all the big people and golfish for Joe.  We all put on our pajamas, squeezed side by side onto the couch together and watched The Muppets.  The kids loved it for its silliness and Brandon and I loved it for the nostalgia factor.

After the movie the kids went to bed and Brandon and I finished off the wine while watching more movies. 

We have never celebrated our anniversary this way.  We always get a sitter and head out for a nice, "fancy," child-free dinner.  But I have to admit - I LOVED THIS NIGHT!  I think it is the best anniversary celebration I have ever had.  I'm pretty sure I didn't stop smiling from the time I walked in the door until I dozed off to sleep.  Everybody was happy and together and having a good time, which is all I ever wanted 11 years ago when I said "I do."

1 comment:

  1. I have told this story to so many people! It is the sweetest anniversary story every!!!!

    ReplyDelete